I had this problem initially when I set my printer up as well. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to install it correctly.
Are you unplugging the power cord when you install the regular cartridges again, after the first failed attempt? This erases the memory on the printer. Most times it takes around 5 minutes to do this.. just safely assume its 5 minutes, lol, it might not take that long, but its worked flawlessly for me at 5 minutes.
Hmm, this is the Routine I use when I have to clean my print head. We do around 10,000 prints or more at my office, so I have to clean it monthly. This setup works awesome to reinstall the CISS system..
Was time to clean the print head again.
Fix or solution to this problem:
1. Clean the print head with "rubbing alcohol".
2. Let the print heads sit on Thick paper towels to soak up the ink. (There can not be any loose cotton type materials on the type of paper towel you choose, as this can get stuck in the print head) This can take a while to do, so get you some coffee or tea.
3. Clean the print head with "rubbing alcohol" again.
4. You will have to do steps 1 - 3 until the ink stops making puddles of ink on the paper towels.. you want it to only leave a small stain after sitting for at least 3 to 5 minutes. (this time frame is my guestimation, but worked flawlessly )
5. Cleaned the chips and the cartridge ports.., reinstalled the regular cartridges
6. Then turned off the printer and unplugged it for 3 minutes or longer.
7. Turn on the printer and re-install the CISS.
8. When asked if you bought these cartridges as legit cartridges = " click no"
9. When asked you if you want to keep printing or if you want to use the cartridges still = "click ok"
10. then voila , it works again..
If you dont get it to work, try again.. Its taken me up to 5 times to get it to work. It might seem like a monotonous thing to do, and totally a time Hog.. But you will see that its totally worth it in the end. 'Cause saving that couple hundred dollars on ink is so worth it. ;p
Hope this helps you. If not shoot another message and Id be more then happy to help you trouble shoot the problem.